Just occasionally the author of this site has to reveal his geeky tendencies. And although this is comprehensively off the main topic, when I have tracked down a reliable solution to an annoying technical problem, I like to post it for the benefit of fellow-frustrated-travellers.
On the arrival of our first child, my wife and I splashed out on one of these:
It’s brilliant! It is so simple even I can use it – you just turn it on and press the big red button to record and then the big red button to stop. Picture quality is pretty impressive – especially given the size of the unit (barely larger than my mobile phone). And you can pump it out on an HDMI enabled TV (if you are lucky enough to own one) for glorious results. But enough of the plug.
My problem was trying to upgrade the bundled FlipShare Software to the latest version (which it kept on asking me to do). Every time I tried to do it, I got a ‘2738’ error and it didn’t install properly (NB this was running under Vista Home Premium 32 bit version, SP2). I finally tracked down the following solution:
1. On the Start menu, click All Programs.
2. Click Accessories.
3. Right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator from the shortcut menu.
4. When the User Account Control dialog appears, click Continue.
5. At the command prompt type the following: regsvr32 vbscript.dll
6. Press Enter on your keyboard.
7. A message should appear stating “DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.”
8. Click OK and then install FlipShare again.
Hope it helps anyone in the same boat.